Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

Serving humanity...

I remember a night when I was 18 at a Holiday Inn restaurant at 4:00 am in the morning. I had been drinking coffee for 3 hours with my friend Karen. There was an elderly gentlemen in the booth next to us. I don't remember how the conversation came to this but I do remember him saying, "The only things worth doing in life are those that serve humanity." 


I remember that, to me, that was a very tall order. Back then, serving humanity meant big things. I thought I would never have the courage to serve humanity. You have to be brilliant. You have to be a really good person. 


My feelings towards that gentlemen and his statement has changed often over the years. I now know that so many things, big and small, can serve humanity. But the most important thing that I can do is to be happy with myself because from that place alone, wherever I am and whoever I am with will be better for it.

No comments: